the largest traditional hanok village in Korea, with more than 700 hanoks in the Pungnam-dong area of Jeonju.It is the only hanok district that is located in the center of a city. It is an important space in the development process of Korea's modern housing culture, which started in 1910, and is the home of about 20 cultural facilities including Gyeonggijeon, Omokdae, and Hyanggyo. It is a representative travel destination of Korea and is integrated with the style of Korea such as hanok, hanji, hansori, hanbok, Korean food, and oriental medicine.
- Location: Pungnam-dong and Gyo-dong area of Wansan-gu, Jeonju-si
- Area: 298,260㎡
- Buildings: 947 dongs (735 Hanok, B2 Hanok 212)
- Number of Businesses: 575 shops (203 accommodations, 183 food and beverages, 189 other sales and rentals)
- 1977Gyo-dong and Pungnam-dong area designated as the Hanok Preservation District
- 1987Designated as the 4th Scenic Zone (Construction limited to below 2 stories high)
- 1999Established the basic project plan for the Special Traditional Culture Zone (Service)
- 2002Enacted the Jeonju Hanok Preservation Support Ordinance (Hanok renovation cost support, etc.)
- 2003Notice of District Unit Plan Decision / Partial changes in 2009, 2011, 2013, 2017
- 2005Basic concept model of the promotion project for Jeonju city of tradition and culture
- 2006Selected as a "Sustainable Village" by the Presidential Advisory Committee
- 2010Selected as the "Star of Korean Tourism” and designated as the “International Slow City”
- 2011Designated as "The Best Korean Tourism Spot"
- 2012Selected as a pilot project for the local brand globalization project
- 2013Reported as an exemplary case of city regeneration in the Presidential Report of the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport
- 2013Introduced as a creative success model at the Regional Hope Expo
- 2014Selected as a Humanities City (Ministry of Education))
- 2015Introduced as a representative case of creating tourism content for the Korean cultural experience (Direction and promotion of cultural enrichment, Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism)
No. 1 preferenceM during the summer vacation season according to survey done by Internet social commerce company Coupang (2015)
No. 1 family travel destination based on surveys conducted through the mobile navigation app in May, the month of family (2016)
10 million Hanok Village travelers enter the era of 10 million tourists! (2016)
Jeonju Hanok Village "Reassignment of International Slow City" (2016)
Hyundai MnSoft's navigation app data analysis showed that it's the most searched domestic travel destination (2017)
No.1 favorite national tourist location by region according to the T-map analysis conducted jointly by the Korea Tourism Organization and SKT (2017)
Ranked 3rd in the top 10 places to visit in 1 year in Asia by the world backpacker's bible, Lonely Planet, reported by CNN News (2017)
A leap to be the most Korean yet ;global tourist destination where more than 130,000 foreign tourists visit in a year!
The most popular travel destination for field trips and school trip activities to learn about traditional culture!
Selected as No. 1 spot to introduce to North Korea (2018, Elite School Uniform, Teen Youth Awards)
10 million annual visits achieved for 3 consecutive years (2019)
Ranked No. 1 in the Regional Cultural Index twice in a row among 229 local governments nationwide! (2019)
Received the Orange Snail Award (Grand Prize) in the International Slow City Awards (2019)
The Hanok Village Bibim Community is a group created for the sustainable development of Hanok Village based on the communication and coexistence of residents, merchants, and self-governing organizations. It leads the discovery and promotion of various residents' participation projects. A planning bureau, public relations bureau, organization bureau, culture bureau, companion bureau, and native bureau operate under the board of directors (with voting function), and the steering committee that have planning and execution functions. There are a total of 18 active executives. They lead the Hanok Village through various resident-led content projects and resident harmony events.
Hanok Village Bibim Community
General Assembly of Bibim Community Initiators
Jeonju Hanok Village Bibim Community Jeongwol Daeboreum Event
2019. 2. 19.
Establishment of the Bibim community operation space (Hanok Village Support Department 1st Floor Office)
2019. 3. 22.
Alleyway Content "Valuing time" weekday permanent performance
Opened Jeonju Hanok Village Broadcasting
2019. 8. 16.
Slow life theory and practical lecture to promote the slow city mindset
2019. 8. 20.
Jeonju Hanok Village roof tile special exhibition Sep
Opened Jeonju Hanok Village Children's Drawing Contest
2019. 10. 19.
Korean-Russian national music concert for tradition and harmony
2019. 10. 25.
Residents' open bookstore operation in Jeonju Hanok Village (Cheongyeonru)
Chronicle of Jeonju Hanok Village Garden Jeonju Hanok Village Painting Exhibition
2019. 11. 15. ~ 11. 17.
Jeonju Hanok Village establishment of order purifying resolution meeting
2019. April ~ year-round
Resident ability strengthening program operation
2019. 11. 21.~12. 19.
Hanok Village Residents Gratitude Event
2019. 12. 21.~12. 25.